Dear valued clients;
As you are all surely aware, the COVID-19 virus is altering daily life in our communities, and has forced us all to make sacrifices and introduce drastic changes to our normal routines. At Eager Beaver Moving, we are doing everything we can to ‘flatten the curve’ despite a dire shortage of materials that would normally be available to us. To that end, we have instituted some new protocols in the way we conduct our business.
First of all, I would like to address why we have made the decision to continue operating despite most businesses being asked to shut down.
While moving companies are not specifically addressed in the list of essential services in Canada, in other jurisdictions such as New York and California that are instituting drastic shutdowns, they have specifically named moving companies, warehousing and logistics companies as an essential service. Many people have pre-planned moving dates that involve a changeover of possession, an expiring lease, a work transfer between cities, and/or various other situations that force them to carry through with their moving plans whether they want to or not. We do not want to let these people down in spite of the risks, and it is unclear if it’s even legally possible for them to postpone in most circumstances. We feel that as long as we are operating responsibly, we can minimize the risk and still help our clients complete their move.
The following is a list of the measures we are taking to protect our clients and staff during this difficult time:
- Health Check – We are checking in with our staff every evening to remind them that if they are experiencing any symptoms consistent with the COVID-19 virus that they are not to come in to work under any circumstances. If they do arrive at work and appear to have any symptoms they are sent home.
- Disinfectant – We are disinfecting any surfaces and touch points in our office, warehouse, and trucks a minimum of twice daily. Our teams are also equipped with spray bottles of disinfectant to clean any touch points while on the job if they feel it necessary, such as entrances to apartment complexes, elevator controls, etc. We encourage you to also wipe down your furniture and other surfaces after we’ve left as an extra precaution.
- Pre-move customer wellness check – All customers will be called the day before their move to confirm that they are not experiencing any symptoms of the virus. Please note that if our crew arrives and notices these symptoms, they have been instructed to call the office to report their concerns. If the situation is deemed unsafe, we may be forced to either postpone or cancel your move for the safety of our staff and all of our other customers. To avoid this situation, please be honest with us in advance and postpone your move if possible. If you have traveled outside the country in the prior two weeks leading up to your moving date, you will be asked to postpone your move.
- Social distancing – While we normally like to start off your moving service with an introduction of the crew and a friendly handshake, we are asking that our customers maintain a comfortable distance from our staff while they are performing your move. A minimum of 6’ distancing is optimal but we realize that’s not always possible. We ask that you not touch or hug our team members for your and their safety (yes believe it or not many of our customers want to hug us at the end of a job).
- Minimizing crowds – We ask that you please limit the number of people present for the move, particularly in smaller apartments where space is tight already. If you are a senior and require assistance, please do not invite the whole family to help until after the move is complete. One person should be more than enough to assist with directing traffic and advising us what goes at the origin and where to place things at the destination.
- Air circulation – If possible, please open outside doors and windows to keep air circulating.
- Hand washing – Our staff will be asking to use your sink to wash our hands periodically throughout the move. We have given our crews their own soap in the event that you do not have any.
- Signatures and Payments – Since we collect electronic signatures on our phones, or in some cases paper signatures, as well as collect payment using a payment machine, we will be disinfecting the phones, pens and payment machines on a regular basis, typically right after the item is handled by you the customer. Please do not take offense to this, we are only being cautious.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to call our office at 780-434-1100 at any time.
Please note that these procedures will remain in place indefinitely as we will continue to follow the guidelines put in place by the World Health Organization and other government authorities.
We want to thank you in advance for your understanding and cooperation with these policies that will help to keep you and our staff safe during this difficult time period.
Owner – Eager Beaver Moving
Check out the CBC article feature with Eager Beaver Moving owner John Watson, “Moving homes in the middle of a pandemic”!! Stay safe and stay healthy. Thank you for all the continued support.