Packing an Essentials Box Before You Move
Transitioning to a new home can be a simple process as long as you have the right tools, people, and items on hand on moving day. Essential packing supplies and professional movers can help cut down on the time, energy, and effort it takes to move. But what about when the moving truck pulls away and leaves you in your new home amidst a flurry of boxes? For many people, packing peanuts start to fly as they desperately try to find what they need to make it through the night and morning.
Thinking ahead and packing an essentials box can save you that stress. To save you the extra brainpower during this busy time, we’ve put together a list of all of the essentials you’ll want to pack in that one special box.
What is an Essentials Box?
An essentials box is exactly what it sounds like—a box packed with all your essentials, including what you need to eat, sleep, shower, and get started on unpacking. While most of your items should be packed into their designated boxes, leave out what you’ll need on your first night and morning in your new home (and as long as necessary until you unpack your other boxes). It’s a small change to your typical moving setup that can make all the difference.
Packing an Essentials Box
Why Pack an Essentials Box?
The last thing you want to do after a long, tiring moving day is immediately unpacking your boxes. An essentials box gives you some time to relax in your new surroundings without needing to rummage through your boxes for something as simple as kitchen utensils. Altogether, an essentials box makes for an easier, less stressful move.
What Belongs in an Essentials Box?
You already know that an essentials box obviously contains essentials, but what exactly does that entail? Consider what is absolutely necessary for the first 24 hours in your new home:
- Snacks and beverages
- Mugs, utensils, plates, and bowls for each member of the family
- A coffee machine (unless your new place is near a coffee shop!)
- A flashlight
- An emergency kit
- Toilet paper (you never know!)
- A change of clothes and towel for each member of the family
- Toiletries, including shampoo, conditioner, soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste, and floss
- Garbage bags
- Electronics, like a laptop or tablet
- A box cutter for when you want to start unpacking those boxes
- Furniture pads so you can keep your floors sparkling
- A few cleaning products so you can quickly clean up anything that was missed
Packing Your Essentials Box
Even if you’re not ready to start packing, it’s a good idea to plan ahead. Make a list of items like the one above to plan out exactly what will go into your essentials box. Ensure everyone helping you pack knows about and has seen this list, so they don’t accidentally pack essentials into regular moving boxes. If you have a big family or lots of essentials, you can pack them into multiple boxes organized by use—one for kitchen essentials, one for toiletries, etc.
Tips for Packing an Essentials Box
- Always keep it with you. This box should be available throughout the entire moving process. You never know when you’ll need those items or when an emergency may occur. Most of all, make sure your essentials box doesn’t end up in the moving truck!
- Make it stand out. When you’re moving, it’s easy to get lost in a sea of plain cardboard boxes, and there’s a good chance your essentials box will get buried with other, similar-looking boxes. Do what you can to make it stand out, whether that’s putting it in a different-coloured box or using big, prominent labels.
- Keep it to the real essentials. It might be tempting for your teenagers to pack a brand-new game console in the essentials box, but it will only take up space. If you end up having to coordinate too many essentials boxes, it’s going to get crowded and confusing.
Get Professional Packing Services
Packing is by far one of the most stressful aspects of moving, so why not leave it to the experts? At Eager Beaver Moving in Edmonton, our moving professionals do more than help you move—we can help you pack, too! Take a look at our packing services, and let us ease all of your moving stress with a complete moving package.